Sunday, October 23, 2011

Small offerings are important

The following is from a book of devotions written many years ago by Pastor Theophil H. Twente titled "Chores of Life".  This poem stresses the importance of remembering that we can do small daily chores to the glory of God.  Often these little things are far more significant than the large ones we hope to accomplish.

Lord of Pots and Pans

Lord of the pots and tipkins,  Since I've no time to be
A saint by doing lovely things,  And vigiling with thee,
By watching in the twilight dawn,  And storming heaven's gates,
Make me a saint by getting meals,  And washing up the plates.

Although I must have Martha's hands,  I have a Mary mind;
And when I black the boots and shoes,  Thy sandals, Lord, I find.
I think of how they trod the earth,  Each time I scrub the floor;
Accept this meditation, Lord, I haven't time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with thy love,  And warm it with thy peace,
Forgive me all my grumbling, Lord,  Make all my grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food,  In room or by the sea,
Accept this service that I do --- I do it unto thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment