Thursday, September 27, 2012

When we talk to God


God, Jesus, Bible
When a child goes away to college or gets married and moves out of their parents home, the need for communication does not stop.  Parents always want and need to hear from their children about how things are going and if  Mom and Dad can help.  We are God’s children and this also applies to our relationship with Him.  God wants to hear from us everyday.  The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing.

Unfortunately our lives move so quickly that many of our prayers are simply cries for help: help me get through this traffic light, let me get this raise, make the rain stop so we can barbeque.  God does help us, but frequently He sees a bigger picture that helps us even more.  Remember Jesus words as He prepared for the cross, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”  Luke 22:42

I have included a poem by Frances R. Havergal that I believe makes a wonderful prayer when we can’t think of what else to say.
“Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.  Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment