Friday, March 22, 2013

A Good Friday Devotion



The final observance before Easter is Good Friday.  Once again Good Friday is a church term and cannot be found in the Bible, but on that day believers place even more emphasis than usual on the sacrificial death on the cross of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Good Friday
Following is a short poem that is one of my personal favorites.  While I cannot show my devotion to Jesus in the same way as the little dog, there are so many things that I can do.  Everyday in everything that we do we show, not to God but to the world, how much we love Jesus.  As I compare my actions to that of the little dog, I must wonder whose love is greater.

I wonder if Christ had a little black dog
All curly and wooly like mine;
With two long silky ears,
And a nose round and wet,
And two eyes brown and tender that shine.

I’m afraid he hadn’t because I have read
How He prayed in the garden alone;
For all his friends and disciples had fled-
Even Peter-the one called a stone.

And I’m so sure that the little black dog
With heart so tender and warm,
Would never have left Him to suffer alone
But creeping right under His arm

Would have licked the dear fingers
in agony clasped
And counting all favors but loss;
When they took Him away
Would have trotted behind
And followed Him right to the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment